Monday, January 2, 2012

5 Things I Learned About Setting Goals

Several years ago, I made the switch from making "New Year's Resolutions" to "setting goals". It may seem a matter of semantics, but I think there's more to it than that. A resolution is simply resolving to do something. A goal requires a plan. Too many times, I think people fail at their New Year's Resolutions because they fail to create a viable plan to achieve them.

It goes without saying that you should start this process with prayer. Beyond that, here are 5 things I've learned about setting goals for the coming year:
  1. Think big! Don't get me wrong. Goals have to be reasonably attainable, otherwise they have no value. At the same time, set a goal that's worth the effort it will take to achieve it. Consider setting a goal such that if God doesn't help you achieve it, it won't happen; something that's bigger than you, but that if you trust and obey, He'll help make it happen. Those types of goals will also help you trust Him more and cause you to spend more time in prayer, seeking and depending on His divine guidance and direction.
  2. Be specific. "I'd like my family to grow spiritually this year." At the end of a year, how will you know if you've achieved your goal? You need goals that are measurable and/or quantifiable, such that if you look back on them later on, you can objectively answer yes or no as to whether or not you achieved it. "I'd like my family to memorize 52 Scriptures this year." Did you achieve that goal? Yes or No.
  3. Think in categories. When trying to come up with goals, it may be difficult to pull them out of thin air. Even if you can, I think it's good to affinitize them. It helps you maintain balance and ensure you're not putting all your efforts into one basket. Consider categories like "Family Goals", "Relationship Goals", "Parent Goals", "Financial Goals", "Physical Goals", "Travel Goals", "Spiritual Goals", "Experience Goals", etc., and limit the number of goals you place in each category you create.
  4. Involve others. One of my long term goals is to take my oldest son to a NASCAR race. It's something he and I both love and I'd love to share that memory with him. I'd also like to do a father-daughter retreat weekend with my daughter. They're reasonably attainable, they're specific, they're in my family category, and they're not just about me - they involve others. This year I was able to mark off one of these: go on a missions trip with my wife - so rewarding! You should also involve others in the planning process - others that can help keep you accountable for achieving your goals.
  5. Write them down. If you want to remember it, you need to write it down. I made my first "goal list" in 2008. I still look back on it from time to time to remind myself of what my goals were. Often, I look at it and realize that I've actually forgotten a few of my goals. And, it causes me to rethink my plan for achieving them.
So, what are some goals you'd like to achieve this year and what's your plan for achieving them?

No comments:

Post a Comment